In central Texas, we use our air conditioning and heating systems almost daily, and in most cases, more often than we use our cars (even with the terrible Austin traffic). Can you imagine leaving your car running for 8 hours, 12 hours, or even 24 hours at a time? Well, that’s exactly what our homes’ HVAC systems are doing in most months, especially during the brutal Texas summers.
Since most of us rely on our vehicles for transportation, we’re generally pretty good about refilling our gas tanks, getting our oil changed, replacing tires and breaks, and taking care of other repairs and maintenance issues that arise, especially if the manufacturer warranty depends on routine maintenance.
So why don’t we do this with our air conditioners? The phrase ‘out of sight out of mind’ may be the answer. As long as our air conditioning and heating system is working, we tend not to think about it. Only when it breaks do we realize that it hasn’t been cleaned or maintained in, uuuh, a ‘few’ years. Did you know that maintaining your air conditioning and heating equipment can catch minor problems before they become major repairs? Here are just a few of the top reasons to clean and maintain your air conditioner and furnace or air handler:
- HVAC Cleaning and Maintenance keeps your system operating more efficiently, leading to lower electric bills
- Proper maintenance can extend the life of your HVAC system, protecting your investment
- Replacing your air filters regularly keeps the air flowing at optimal rates, increasing your comfort levels and system performance
- Regular maintenance can catch small issues before they turn into expensive repairs
- Routine maintenance preserves manufacturer warranties (and don’t forget to ask us about our 10 year parts and labor warranty on new qualifying York systems- that’s twice as long as the best car warranty on the market)
- Cleaning your indoor coils before heating season prevents that nasty burning smell that envelops your house every fall when you turn on the heat for the first time
- Heating check ups can ensure the safe operation of your gas furnace, which is essential to protecting your home and family (just like the brakes on your car!)